Some of the kids (if they are in year-around school) are heading back to school and many of you might be thinking about sprucing up the kid’s playroom or even creating a space to write down all your grocery reminders in the kitchen. What about using a chalkboard!! The chalkboard not only gives the room character but it also creates a unique way to use the wall space.
Here are the always popular chalkboards from Potterybarn and Restoration Hardware.
Bonnie from Go Home to Roost Blog has a great recipe for creating your very own chalkboard at home without spending a lot of money. Want to personalize it, try adding some paint too!
Here is What You Need:
– flat latex paint in your desired color
– unsanded tile grout (2 tbls for each 1 cup of paint)
– a roller or brush
– 150 grit sandpaper
– painter’s tape
– For small areas, mix one cup at a time. stir 2 tbsp of unsanded tile grout into one cup of paint, making sure any clumps dissolve.
– Apply the mixture to either a roller or brush and and begin painting your surface. make sure to coat evenly and thoroughly (mine took about 3 coats). then, let it dry.
– Once dry, sand the surface with your 150 grit sand paper to smooth it.
– To condition, run your chalk completely over the entire surface, and wipe clean.
– Enjoy your new chalkboard!
* Let us know if you want to see more DIY projects. We are always open to suggestions.
images: 1. Potterybarn.com 2. Restoration Hardware.com 3. The Bella Life Blog – Photography by: Mark Olson
I cannot believe it’s August! I want to update you on what to expect this month on the Design Lines Blog.
How does art make a statement in a room? Several blog posts this month will focus on art hanging, the joy of finding the right picture frame, and our favorite artists.
Whether your children are on the traditional or the year-around calendar, the kids are heading back to school. Phew! We will have back-to-school inspired posts and a few DIY projects. For example we will teach you how to create your own chalkboard at home for the kids playroom.
For all those readers who do not live in Raleigh, we’ve got you covered. While we completed the Designer Profiles last month, our next adventure will give you a front row seat as we tour the company office. How does everyone stay organized? Where do they eat lunch? What does the resource library look like? I have always heard about that mysterious rug room, does it really have rug samples everywhere?
Hot off the Press! Design Lines will be featured in the September/October issue of Southern Lady Magazine. We will give you all the details once the issue hits newsstands, including the spread and where to buy your own copy.
As always we will have updates on current projects and our My Carolina Today segments.
This month is exciting and we can’t wait to share it with you.
image credit: Traditional Home Online