Some of the kids (if they are in year-around school) are heading back to school and many of you might be thinking about sprucing up the kid’s playroom or even creating a space to write down all your grocery reminders in the kitchen. What about using a chalkboard!! The chalkboard not only gives the room character but it also creates a unique way to use the wall space.
Here are the always popular chalkboards from Potterybarn and Restoration Hardware.
Bonnie from Go Home to Roost Blog has a great recipe for creating your very own chalkboard at home without spending a lot of money. Want to personalize it, try adding some paint too!
Here is What You Need:
– flat latex paint in your desired color
– unsanded tile grout (2 tbls for each 1 cup of paint)
– a roller or brush
– 150 grit sandpaper
– painter’s tape
– For small areas, mix one cup at a time. stir 2 tbsp of unsanded tile grout into one cup of paint, making sure any clumps dissolve.
– Apply the mixture to either a roller or brush and and begin painting your surface. make sure to coat evenly and thoroughly (mine took about 3 coats). then, let it dry.
– Once dry, sand the surface with your 150 grit sand paper to smooth it.
– To condition, run your chalk completely over the entire surface, and wipe clean.
– Enjoy your new chalkboard!
* Let us know if you want to see more DIY projects. We are always open to suggestions.
images: 1. Potterybarn.com 2. Restoration Hardware.com 3. The Bella Life Blog – Photography by: Mark Olson